Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Chicken Lettuce Cups

I made this yesterday and it was so good. I found it out of the Good Housekeeping Magazine. Although, when I went to the store to buy Boston Lettuce they didn't have any. I subbed for Romain lettuce instead. It didn't work so well. The leaves weren't big enough and didn't have that built in cup shape like the Boston Lettuce does. It still tasted good though. Also, I know people like more flavor in their food than others. So feel free to add more soy sauce, ginger or honey if you like.
Yields: 4 main-dish servings
Ingredients:
3 Tbs. soy sauce (or more for your liking)
2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
1 tsp. honey
2 tsp. Asian sesame oil
1 1/4 lbs chicken, cut into 1/4" chunks
1 c. frozen shelled edamame (soybeans)
2 med. stalks celery, chopped
12 lg. Boston lettuce leaves.

Directions:
1. In cup combine soy sauce, ginger, and honey. Set aside
2. Heat sesame oil in skillet over medium heat, 1 min. Add chicken chunks, cook 3 min.
3. Add soybeans, cook 2 min. longer. Add soy sauce mixture, cook 1-2 min, or until chicken is cooked through. Toss to make sure chicken is evenly coated with sauce.
4. Scoop a big spoonful of chicken onto each lettuce leaf. Fold leaves over chicken and eat out of hand.

2 comments:

Marina said...

This looks so, so, so, so, sooooo yummy! I'm glad it doesn't make much because I'm afraid I will be the only one eating it. lol...My kids are too picky! =) Can't wait to try it.

Liz Ann said...

I didn't know if I would like the soybeans in it, but they were really good. I had never had them before. They actually don't have a lot of flavor. The celery had more flavor than they did, which isn't saying much, because celery is a very mild vegetable already. I think your kids would enjoy it. The key is to not over cook your veggies. You still want it to have that fresh crunch in your mouth. So yummy