Sunday, May 29, 2011

Tie Dyed Cookies

I heard about tie dyed cookies years ago but never tried to make them until this morning.  It was very simple and would be a great way to get the kids in the kitchen...says the lady with no children! 

Here's what you'll need:
 Sugar cookie mix or your own favorite recipe.  I used the Krusteaz brand sugar cookie mix because I knew that it was a pretty white batter.  Prepare as directed (one egg, one stick of butter).  I always add some vanilla extract to boxed/bagged mix to make it taste more homemade.  You'll also need food coloring  and some parchment paper (or saran wrap or foil).
 Once you have prepared the dough split up the dough into different small bowls (however many different colors you will want) and mix food coloring into each ball of dough.
 On your parchment paper (or wrap or foil) begin putting dollops of dough down the sheet.  I alternated large and small dollops.  There doesn't appear to be any science to it!
 This is what you should end up with.  I started with the scoop but found it easier to use my hands.
 Next, roll the dough into a log and tighten your paper/foil down.  Chill in the fridge for at least one hour.
 Take dough out and cut into 1/4 inch slices.  Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
 And TADA!  You have some really cool cookies.

One box of cookie mix will yield 24 cookies.  I doubled this batch.

1 comment:

Liz Ann said...

those look cool and I'm pretty sure my kids would love to try and make them