Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Cauliflower Soup

The first time I ever heard of Cauliflower Soup, I was on an airplane headed to NY. (Yeah, that'll take you back some years...when is the last time you've had a meal on a plane???! LOL Uh, huh, that's what I thought!) Well, anyway, I was offered some and after I ate it I thought I had gone to heaven! Boy, was this a new treat for me!!! I immediately searched for a good recipe (no, we did not have access to internet back then!), and only came up with a potato soup recipe that I substituted it for. It actually tasted pretty good. Fortunately, after many years, I have tweaked a recipe that is just as heavenly!!! Oh, yeah...yay me!!! I was craving it on this nippy cold day. Smelling it makes me giddy! Wanna try it? It's YUM!
1 stick Butter, Divided
1 whole Onion, Diced
1 whole Carrot, Diced
1-2 Cauliflower Heads, roughly Chopped (depending how chunky you want it--the chunkier the better, I think)
2 Tablespoons Parsley
6 cups water
4 packets of Goya chicken bouillon (powdered)
6 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour
2 cups Whole Milk
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste


In a medium to large pot, melt 4 tablespoons butter and saute onion. Then add the carrot, cauliflower and parsley. Stir, cover, and cook over very low heat for 15 minutes. Afterwards, add water and bouillon. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer.

In a small saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Whisk the flour with the milk and slowly add to the butter. Add mixture and salt to the simmering soup. Allow to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. (I don't like my cauliflower very mushy, so I tend to go on the shorter time.) Check seasoning and add more salt or pepper if wanted.

Another option: put a dollup of sour cream at the bottom of your bowl before you dish out the soup. Ahhh! Just a little extra pizazz for those not caring about calories! ;)

4 comments:

Angel said...

I can't believe I've never heard of this! It sounds right up our alley.

House of Squitty said...

Sounds delish, I'll have to give it a try. We love soup during these cold winter months.

Liz Ann said...

Yum! Yum! Yum!

Mary McDonald said...

I just bought 4 heads of cauliflower tonight to make soup! My family loves it so much (except Levi) that I have to make a lot! We must be on the same wave link! LOL