Sunday, February 6, 2011

Potato Soup

I'm sure you each have your own scrumptuous recipe for potato soup (even though you haven't posted it on here....shame!), but here's another one to put in your collection. My hubby really loves this and compares it to Olive Garden's...hmmm...I don't know if I'd go there, but okay! I'll take it as a compliment. ;)
1 stick of butter, divided
1 onion, chopped
1 bag of red potatoes, peeled and finely sliced
(I use my handy dandy Pampered Chef slicer so it doesn't take long)
1 bag of Jimmy Dean precooked & crumbled sausage
(it comes in different flavors: original, mild, hot...choose one that your palate prefers. I recommend giving it some zest!)
2 Tb parsley
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp minced garlic
6 packets of Goyu chicken flavoring
8 cups hot water
6 Tb flour
2 cups whole milk
4 oz. sour cream
shredded cheddar cheese, optional


Saute half of butter with onion in a large pot. Add potatoes, sausage, parsley, salt, chicken flavoring and water. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. In a separate pot, melt remaining butter. Whisk in flour and milk and get warm. Add mixture to soup. Let simmer for 10 minutes, or until potatoes are slightly tender. Add sour cream and allow to melt. When you serve each bowl, you can top with cheese, or even add more sour cream. Ahhhhh!


*This makes a large pot. However, you can always cut this recipe in half if you're cooking for a smaller family. =)

1 comment:

House of Squitty said...

Definitely going to give this a go...sounds so yummy!